Power Systems and High Voltage Training
A physical training meeting was held from 25th to 28th July 2023 at the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (AUTH), Thessaloniki, Greece. Members from Atma Jaya Catholic University (ATM) of Indonesia attended the meeting, which focused on Power Systems training in Power Systems Laboratory and in the High Voltage Engineering training in the High Voltage Laboratory at AUTH.
Τhe training focused on the following fields:
Three-Phase Systems, Grounding, and Neutralization
- Understand the concept of three-phase systems without operational grounding.
- Learn about systems with direct grounding and their operational characteristics.
- Explore different methods of neutralization in three-phase systems.
- Identify the causes and implications of abnormal grounding in power systems.
Measurement of Transmission Line Parameters
- Develop practical skills in measuring transmission line parameters.
- Gain hands-on experience in calculating inductance and capacitance of long transmission lines.
- Understand how distributed parameters affect the behavior of transmission lines.
- Learn to use simulation software for modeling transmission line behavior under various conditions.
Generation and Measurement of High Voltages
- Acquire knowledge about the generation of high voltages in laboratory settings.
- Learn the principles behind test transformers and their applications in power engineering.
- Observe and analyze the phenomenon of flashover of insulator strings.
- Gain insights into the safety measures and precautions when working with high voltages.
- Understand the generation of high voltages in different scenarios.
- Explore the concept of corona on line conductors and its impact on power transmission.
- Learn about the breakdown of air gaps under high voltage conditions.
- Discuss the practical applications of high voltage generation and measurement in the field of power systems.
- The training was designed to provide a comprehensive understanding of various aspects of Power Systems, Transmission Lines and High Voltage engineering.
- Participants gained both theoretical knowledge and practical skills to apply these concepts in their teaching and research activities.